Thursday, February 16, 2012

Verizon and Redbox vs Netflix

   I read the article "Verizon and Redbox team up to battle Netflix" which was written by David Goldman and published on February 6, 2012. Julianne Pepitone, staff writer at New York CNNMoney, also contributed to this article.
   This article states that Verizon and Redbox are becoming more efficient than Netflix, and are beginning to take lead. People won't have to wait a few days for their mail to come in order to get a movie. They can just go to the Redbox and pick out a movie, or, they can get the movie on their computer or mobile phone. Although Netflix dominance in the streaming video aspect, it has many uprising challengers.
  The main difference that may affect the Netflix and its challengers, are their availability of ne listings. According to the article, Netflix features past-season TV shows and older movies but has been criticized for its lack of newer content. With Redbox, however, there is a greater amount of new-release content available to consumers.
    In my opinion I agree with this article. I have never used Netflix, so I'm not totally sure on how it works, but I have utilized the Redbox before. The Redbox does allow 'customers' to rent new releases and is quick and easy. There are times when I approach a Redbox and there is a line of people waiting to get a new movie. It charges only a dollar a night per movie, although lately I have noticed the prices increasing.

   I believe Netflix charges a flat rate each month for an unlimited amount of movies. I do not know if there is still a lot of movies being mailed out, but I believe it is more of an online account. This allows customers to get the movie right away instead of waiting a few days for it in the mail. You can get Netflix on such things like IPODs, computers, Xbox, PS3, etc..basically anything with an internet connection.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Skye,
    I did not know that Redbox and Verizon were a team. I have used Redbox before and I like it because of the convenience and low rates but I hear that Netflix is better because of the other things that they offer besides movies. I know that Netflix has used this to become even more convenient by having their services accessible without the customer having to leave their homes. I think that this gives Netflix an advantage over Redbox because people these days are all about convenience and I would rather just press a button on my remote or iPod or gaming console than having to leave an go get a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Skye,
    I also didn’t know that Verizon and Redbox teamed up to work together, all this time I thought they were a sole proprietorship. The only thing that Netflix’s has over Redbox is that they have a feature of watching TV shows too but struggle with the timing on the releases. Redbox cannot be used on any of the newest technology such as IPods and IPads, but personally I like to watch my movie on my TV in my living room with my family by my side. I believe that Netflix is an easy way to get movies and TV shows on the go but when you want to relax, go with Redbox. I am a big fan of Redbox and use it often because it’s an easy way to get the newest movie and they have one in my local grocery store. Since people want to come out with the best and easiest way to do things, I believe Redbox is better than Netflix’s.

    ReplyDelete