Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Apple settles class-action suit over IPhone 4 antenna problem

Title : Iphone 4 Antenna Problems P-Date : Wednesday February 22 2012 http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/20/tech/mobile/iphone-4-antenna-settlement/index.html When reading this article there was a few surprising issues to hear about with the Iphone 4, but then again I am not surprise to hear about such things. The Iphone 4 was released in June 2010 and after it went on the market it became a huge seller, though soon after it went on sale a lot of Iphone owners started complaining about that the frequency on their phones was dropping voice calls. Trying to figure out what the issue was they found out the culprit of this issue was the antenna that is wrapped in a band around the phone's edge to help give it that slim look. They also figured out that they way owners were holding the Iphone was also causing the reception to suffer or cut out completely, it was referred to this as the "death grip". From these issues a law suit arose from it and in a written statement to CNET apple said, ""This settlement relates to a small number of customers who indicated that they experienced antenna or reception issues with their iPhone 4, and didn't want to take advantage of a free case from Apple when it was being offered in 2010." However, one of the attorneys on this case named Ira Rothken stated that more than 21 million Iphone 4 owners were eligible for the payout. That case offer lasted for three months and initially Apple had been ignoring the complaints by customers and then dismissed them. However after having the issues with these phones, Apple then issues the IPhone 4S in October and did not show any of the problems that the IPhone 4 did. Multiple law suits had emerged from that one law suit and most of the plaintiffs agreed that Apple was misleading in communication to their customers about this issue. Under the settlement, eligible customers should get an e-mail from Apple some time in April.
Once they recieve that email they will have 120 days to apply for the $15. A website, iPhone4Settlement.com, has been set up but had not yet been activated as of Monday morning. For me I believe that it was wrong of Apple to ignore their customers about these issues because if they want more customers to buy their products therefore they should fix any issues they might have. That if they are able to provide customers with a great service and help them get the phone that they want with no issues then they will get more customers.

3 comments:

  1. You and I had similar article because I did the one that was on Foxconn and how the company had a bad way of making the phone because the work place was corrupt. I believe that they try to make the phone so high tech and small so people will want to buy the upcoming and newest phones that they lose focus on how they make it. They want to make it as small as possible and loose thought how you need to make the battery and how much space everything needs to work perfect. I did not know that they didn’t care about fixing the IPhone 4’s problems so they just made a new phone which was the IPhone 4S. I do not believe that’s the way to deal with that problems and that’s why law suits came from it. I personally do not have an IPhone because I am with the blackberry community, but after reading your article, I am glad I don’t have an IPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think it’s right that Apple ignored their customer’s complaints. Apple is supposed to be one of the best and most reputable brands when it comes to phones and computers. So for them to completely ignore complaints from their customers about how their product was not working properly is ridiculous. I feel that the problem should have been handled more professionally. Personally, I really like Apple, as well as the products that they put out. But if they are going to start having poor customer service, then maybe I would start thinking twice about buying Apple products again. I would really hat to do this, but nothing is worse than poor customer service. Also, I’m curious as to whether or not I would be eligible for the money that Apple is giving back. I have an IPhone 4, but I have not experienced any problems with the service or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this article, I cant believe that Apple would just ignore their customers like that. I used to think that Apple always put the consumers first, but after reading this I am not so sure if they actually are. I personally do not have anything from the Apple brand apart from an Ipod but all of the people I know who have Iphones or Macs never complain about them. I am now curious to see if any of them have experienced these problems and just thought nothing of the issue. I feel that Apple should certainly make all of their customers aware of the issue at hand if not all customers definately the ones that have Iphone 4's.

    ReplyDelete