Monday, February 27, 2012

End of unlimited data?


For my blog post I choose the article titled "Smartphone data shake-up: The end of 'unlimited'". This article immediately grabbed my attention because I personally am a smart phone user. I am not going to lie; I am quite addicted to my IPhone 4.  I am either checking my twitter, looking up the bruins score or texting my friends; I am on my phone a lot. After reading the article i realized that my data plan that I believe is unlimited is actually not un limited at all. When I have spare time I am definitely going to conduct some research on my exact plan from Verizon wireless. It is quite rude that these companies sell plans you think are unlimited but actually are not. Along with the fact the plans are not unlimited, you get charged for going over and you way not even know it. This is not a fair practice; it is not fair to the hardworking customers of Verizon and AT&T. Granted that most of your average Smartphone users do not eclipse the overall data threshold; you can easily go over it without knowing. No warnings, no nothing the company will just tab your bill with the charges. Sprint is the only mobile provider that does not charge you for going over our data plan. Sprints plan is truly unlimited which I personally applaud because they are offering it as they sell unlimited data. In this new super smart phone era it is vital to know all the fine print associated with your expensive cell phone. Not being fully aware of the can’s and can not’s of your phone and its plan will and can cost you a lot of money. Overall I feel there will be some change when it comes to this unlimited data dilemma. With thousands of people signing up for these data plans and obtaining a Smartphone (You can’t get a Smartphone without a data plan), the rules may have to change in the near future. These companies cannot peach “unlimited data” that is truly not unlimited and get away with these rogue charges.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog because I want an IPhone. I would be addicted to my IPhone if I had one. I would be checking my Twitter and Facebook all the time because I am addicted to those. I find it interesting that unlimited really doesn’t mean unlimited. That is mind boggling because you would think that unlimited means unlimited. Also, Verizon doesn’t give you any warning about going over your minutes. I understand that you could go over your minute, but you should have a warning when your minutes are getting low. I love how Sprint is the only one that gives you a warning. Why would Sprint be the only service when Sprint is not that popular? Is Sprint trying to get more customers? That could most likely be the reason why Sprint does that. I also don’t agree that you should have to buy a data plan with every phone. It doesn’t seem fair, you should have a say in what you want. Everyone should decide on what they decide what they want. It should be up to the customer, not the salesperson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill~ I was interested in reading your blog because although I've never had an iPhone, it's very intriguing to hear about cases like this. There are many companies that will trump charges, and people don't realize. Customers trust the company to be honest and ethical. Selling an unlimited plan that is not totally unlimited is ridiculous. What also caught my attention was the information about Sprint, and how they don't charge you for going over your original plan. I wonder why they would do that since they aren't as popular as Verizon, for example. And yet, Verizon, the more popular company is overcharging customers for data they aren't even accessing, even thought it's part of their data plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bill,
    I found your article to be quite interesting as well. I am just like you with my smart phone, I often feel lost when my battery dies, so I completely see where you’re coming from. Although I agree with much of your article, I have an app that tells me exactly how much data I have available and gives me updates if I ever come close to going over. I do have Verizon, but I do not have the iPhone. I found the Droid to be a better option, for the use of free apps. I know both phones are good, but I know the iPhone charges you for many of your apps, where as I have never paid to download one. Another thing that I like about Verizon is that the minutes I use monthly carry over, currently I have 620 minutes available, and this month alone I have sent/received 2959 text messages and still have an unlimited amount left. If I were you, I would definitely look into your plan that you purchased.

    -Bobby

    ReplyDelete