Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Over 3 years later "deleted" Facebook photos are still online" Tuesday February 7 2012 http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/tech/social-media/deleted-facebook-photos-online/index.html After reading this article about the "deleted" Facebook photos I can say that I am pretty shocked to hear that the photos we delete from Facebook aren't really being deleted. I am a Facebook user and I have deleted some photos from this website either because I didn't want them up anymore or I just didn't like them and to find that they aren't being deleted right away kind of shocks me. In the article they discuss how the systems being used a few years ago did not delete photos with in a reasonable time period and that now they are working on a newer system to fix that problem. They also talked to the people from Facebook again and said, "Wolens claims that Facebook is on the verge of fixing up its content systems so that "deleted" photos are really, truly deleted within 45 days." For me and for many many other Facebook users I really hope this is true because I know that for me I am going to being looking for a job after I graduate college and I know that I don't want a photo on Facebook to decide my future. Also for other people who already have jobs they have to be careful what goes on their Facebook profiles because if one in-appropriate picture goes up on their profile then their boss can see it and they could possibly get fired. Therefore any photos containing certain illegal activities like drinking, doing drugs can hurt you for getting the into the future college you want and a future job that you want and to have the future you want. They said that this has been and on-going issue for years now and that they have been writing about this for a long time and that hopefully it will get resolved. So for me as a contributor to putting up photos on Facebook that since it takes a long time for photos to be deleted, I will now know that I won't put up pictures that are in-appropriate and photos that can hurt the future I am striving for.

3 comments:

  1. Janine, I feel the same way in how alcohol and other drugs have been talked about for a very long time through Facebook. All of the photos with them should be deleted even though you can't fully delete any photos off of the internet yet. I wrote about the same thing and had some of the same thoughts. My point was that Facebook profiles shouldn't be allowed to be fake, they should be lined up with your birth certificate to help make the photos coincide with your age. So for example if you were to be seen with alcohol at a bar or on your 21st birthday, job offers wouldn't look at you the same way if you were drinking because your of age. Another area that you talked about and I strongly disagree with is the area that Facebook said they are going to be able to fully delete photos within 45 days. I do not think this is fully true, because it has been over 3 years and we still haven't solved that problem so I feel like it is going to take a lot longer than what is said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Janine,
    I too hope they fix this problem with photos and how they aren't really being deleted. I feel like they need to take this a step further so other people can't have a video or image of you drinking, you should be able to blur yourself or have it taken down. I also feel that people who put photos or videos should know that once something is on the internet its on there forever. Someone can put a photo up or comment on a photo and you can screenshot that page and then you have that forever on your hard drive. There's really no way of ever completely taking something off the internet once it's been uploaded.

    ReplyDelete