Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Facebook Password isn't your boss business!

The article I’m writing about is called Facebook Password isn’t your boss business. CNN Reporter Doug Gross wrote this on March 22nd 2012. The article talks about how bosses ask for possible employee’s passwords to networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. to get a look into them and what they do. The article also talks about a requirement that some companies are doing like giving your password to be considered for employment. They even go as far as making you “friend” people from the company. An attorney said it is a “violation of privacy” and “people are entitled to their own private lives”. A case where a man was looking to get re-instated as a corrections officer in Baltimore got asked to give up his password. The article showed me a lot about Facebook and the business world that I don’t already know and I loved reading it. The man, from Baltimore, that was looking to get re-instated infuriated me because of the unnecessary steps taken to get his job. The man he went to to get re-instated he gave his password to, then the man logged into his Facebook right in front of him. I found this improper. “I’m looking through your messages, on your wall, and your photos to see if you are in a gang or have any gang affiliation.” Employers shouldn’t be looking into peoples Facebook accounts it is an invasion of privacy and rights. This man was a corrections officer before; he shouldn’t have had to jump through so many hurdles to get the position again. This new way to determine eligibility for a job is ridiculous. Facebook shouldn’t be allowed to determine if someone gets a job. This look on getting a job is a bit ridiculous. I wouldn’t give my own Facebook password to an employer, I wouldn’t even consider it. If I ever was asked I would just walk out of the job interview, or I would ask the employer why my personal account is needed for a business job interview. If he or she proceeded to say that it was necessary I would only login in front of them, I wouldn’t give them my password.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janine I’m commenting on this blog because I read the same article, and I thought it was pretty interesting although you have different points then me on the article it still all lead to the same thing. But I was just wondering if you seen it as a good thing in a way just as well as it is bad. But from reading it you seem like you are completely against it. But if it really came down to it the social network is yours it was your choice to make it so really the boss should have nothing to do with that, like would you be punished if you just lied, and told them you didn’t have a social network? Like what would be the consequences of that? You’ll getting fired because you don’t want to give your personal info out to just anybody. Those are the points that I addressed really…
    -Wesley Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the article that Janine did and learn so much just from what she wrote. She wrote about how Doug Gross, a CNN reporter, talks about the risks of Facebook and employment risks having a Facebook. Some work places require them to give them their Facebook password to see what they have been doing. Not only Facebook either, they are going as far as Twitter and other social networking sites too. If they don’t ask for your password, sometimes work places ask you to be friends with them so they can “creep”. There was an article on a man who went to go get re-instated and was asked to give his password and got so frustrated because he believe that it wasn’t right that that shouldn’t be a part of hiring process. I also don’t believe that giving up your Facebook password should be a part of the hiring process

    ReplyDelete